Medical Records Specialist Program Overview
The Medical Records Specialist program provides learners with the skills and knowledge needed to manage medical records in a healthcare setting. The online coursework includes simulations and is aligned to and prepares students to take the NHA Electronic Health Records Specialist certification exam. The program is designed for those looking to advance their career or refresh essential knowledge needed for the many Records and Health Information-related occupations that exist.
Certification Exam Preparation
Certified Electronic Health Records Specialist (CEHRS) offered by the National Healthcareer Association (NHA)
Average Completion Time
Time to complete is based on individual learner progression.
- Process patient admission and discharge documents
- Maintain patient information, such as demographic characteristics, history and extent of disease, diagnostic procedures, or treatment, in electronic form
- Retrieve patient medical records for physicians, technicians, or other medical personnel
- Compile, code, categorize, calculate, tabulate, audit, and maintain and verify information or data
- Understand the terminology and concepts related to third-party reimbursement
- Proper use of electronic medical record (EMR) software
Features and Benefits
- PFx learning platform provides engaging and interactive learning materials including numerous simulations and hands-on practical labs
- Engaging digital textbooks and study materials
- Committed support for learners from faculty, staff, and online resources
Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC)
Penn Foster is nationally accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC). The DEAC is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a recognized accrediting agency and is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accrediting (CHEA).