Pharmacy Technician Professional Program Overview
The Penn Foster ASHP-accredited Pharmacy Technician Professional program prepares learners to sit for two industry-recognized certification exams to become a Certified Pharmacy Technician. The curriculum provides learners with the strategies, procedures, knowledge, and management skills needed to work effectively as entry-level pharmacy technicians in any pharmacy setting. The online courses include interactive and engaging exercises with hands-on practical labs and real-world simulations that help learners prepare for the required 160-hour hands-on training externship.
Certification Exam Preparation
Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) offered by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB)
Exam for the Certification of Pharmacy Technicians (ExCPT) offered by the National Healthcareer Association
Average Completion Time
Time to complete is based on individual learner progression.
Required Externship Experience
Learners gain on-the-job, hands on experience in the field.
- Career readiness
- Drug classifications
- Pharmacy law & regulations
- Pharmaceutical math calculations
- Sterile & nonsterile compounding
- Basics of medication safety
- Bill & reimbursement processes
- Pharmacy management software
Features and Benefits
- Robust lab kit needed to complete practical labs is included ($475 value)
- Cost of PTCE certification exam is included ($129 value)
- Curriculum aligned with the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board and National Healthcareer Association
- Delivered on the PFx learning platform which provides engaging and interactive learning materials, including cutting-edge simulations, recorded demonstrations, live sessions, and more
- Certification review course to prepare learners to sit for industry exams
- Engaging digital textbooks and study materials
- Career diploma programs include wraparound learner support, access to instructors and coaches, ensuring your students successfully progress through training
Penn Foster’s online Pharmacy Technician Professional program is one of only two distance education/online programs to earn ASHP/ACPE accreditation.
PTCB requires pharmacy technicians attend an organization recognized program in order to sit for certification exams.
Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC)
Penn Foster is nationally accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC). The DEAC is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a recognized accrediting agency and is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accrediting (CHEA).